Battle of the Books
Congratulations to our winning Battle of the Books team who will proudly represent Lakeview at the district competition February 12th at 6:00 PM at Northwest High School. Come out and show your Bobcat support!
In case you missed it, here is how Battle of the Books works:
1. A list of 10 books is given to interested students. Our library has multiple copies of each of these books.
2. Students are put into teams of six, which read all of the ten books carefully. Teams either chose to have all team members read all 10 books, or they split up the reading.
3. Teams can be from a single grade level, or mixed. The number of teams depend upon how many students participate.
4. Lakeview will have a competition to determine which team will advance to a district Battle of the Books competition. Teams receive certificates for participating.
5. The Lakeview Team will compete against other NISD elementary teams in a district competition to determine which team will be the district Battle of the Books champ. Medals are given to all teams, and a trophy will be given to the winning team.
Want to know more? Watch this link for a fun explanation!
Want to know more about the books? Here's our Battleof the Books TeachingBooks.net page. It's full of great information about the books on the list! Look Under the "Browse the Collection" tab, and scroll down to "Lakeview Elementary Lists". If you don't know our username and password for TeachingBooks.net, please ask a teacher or Mrs. Smith.
2012-2013 Battle of the Books Titles
Escape Under the Forever Sky by Eve Yohalem
Hamster Magic by Lynne Jonnell
Benjamin Franklinstein Lives by Matthew McElligott
Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix
One-Handed Catch by Mary Jane Auch
The School Story by Andrew Clements
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles
Aliens on Vacation by Clete Barrett Smith
EllRay Jakes is Not a Chicken! by Sally Warner