School Health Advisory Council
What is SHAC?
SHAC ( School Health Advisory Council) is an adivsory group that includes individuals who represent segments of the community. Generally the members are appointed by Board of Trustees or Executive Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics to provide advice to the NISD on aspects of coordinated school health programming and its impact on student health and achievement.
The SHAC"s primary role is to provide advice to the NISD Board of Trustees and Administrative Team.
What do they do?
The SHAC should focus their attention on the eight components of Coordinated School Health:
* Nutrition Services
* Health Services
* Health Education
* Physical Education
* Parent and Community Involvement
* Staff Wellness
* School Counciling
* Safe Environment
The local school health advisory council"s duties include recommending:
1. The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health and physical education.
2. Health education curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels that may include a coordinated health education program designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease and Type II diabetes.
3. Instruction to prevent the use of tobacco.
4. Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality education.
Lone Star Room
2012-2013 Northwest Independent School District