NISD Seeks Feedback to Rename Center
The Northwest ISD Board of Trustees and administration extends an open invitation to the public to submit nominations for renaming the NISD Agricultural Science Learning Center.
Beginning January 7 through February 7, community members will have an opportunity to nominate a name for selection. The NISD Agricultural Science Center opened in 2003 and is located at the District's Central site at 1960 Texan Drive, Justin, 76247.
To be considered, suggestions must meet board policy requirements for naming facilities and shall be named according to one of the following documented categories:
- in memory of a person who has served the district or local NISD community, especially in service to children, and whose virtues or characteristics will serve aw role models to students, staff, and the community.
- in memory of a person who has made a significant contribution to society and/or education, whose name shall lend prestige and status to an institution of learning.
- a local residential or geographic area
- a district property donor or his/her family members
- any state or national heroic figure, landmark and/or historical attributes
Facilities other than school buildings shall be named according to the documented categories established for all school buildings. Persons to be so honored by the naming of school buildings and/or facilities shall not be considered while living.
A selection committee will review the nominations to ensure that each meets the established requirements. While exceptions can be made, the following criteria will also be considered in the determination of names eligible for consideration:
- The name qualifies in one of the required categories.
- The name is adequately documented by factual information on the nomination form.
- The name properly reflects the type and mission of the school board or facility.
- The name is unique to the campus-level or facilities to avoid similarities with the names or abbreviations of existing schools.
- The name is secular in nature.
An electronic nomination form will be available on the district's website May 14 through June 14. A hard copy may be requested by calling 817-215-0171. Additional information may also be included in the submission, such as news clippings, letters of recommendation, and/or printed resources that would assist the board in making a decision.
A naming selection committee will review the nominations received and make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees. The School Board will vote on the names at the June 25 school board meeting. Names that are not used will be reserved for future consideration in naming other new schools or facilities.