To inform and engage legislators and to advocate for Northwest ISD’s Legislative Priorities on behalf of students, staff, and the NISD community.
If you are interested in receiving occasional legislative updates and advocacy alerts from Northwest ISD, please complete this form.
Special Session for Education (Education Savings Accounts) and Border Security
Governor Greg Abbott immediately called a fourth special session of the 88th Legislature to begin November 7. The proclamation included the establishment of education savings accounts, school funding, public school accountability, school safety measures, border security, and more.
Northwest ISD continues to advocate against private-school vouchers where there is no public accountability for public tax dollars and does not support what appears to be a political tradeoff to offer an increase in public school funding in exchange for private-school vouchers.
In Northwest ISD, we believe in the importance of supporting public education and all students. Public funds should be held publicly accountable and Texas schools should be adequately funded to include adjustments for inflation so that local school districts can value and retain staff through competitive salaries. We do not believe private school funding should be prioritized over public schools or be given without academic and financial accountability.
As this special session unfolds, please share your personal views on Education Savings Accounts (ESAs) and private-school vouchers with our local Northwest ISD legislators.
Contact Your Local Legislators
When contacting your legislators, consider sharing your home address and/or identifying yourself as a constituent, parent, employee, etc. of Northwest ISD or a specific area. Legislators often give more consideration to their local constituents.
- Who Represents Me?
- Email the nine Senators and Representatives representing Northwest ISD.
- Local Legislators Contact Information
- NISD House and Senate Delegate Map
- Email the House Select Educational Opportunity and Enrichment Committee
Special Session Resources
- Talking Points: House Bill 1 and Vouchers
- Sample Letter - Oppose House Bill 1 (Act by November 17)
- Submit public testimony on House Bill 1 – November 7
- House Committee Summary of House Bill 1
- Support Public Education and Oppose Vouchers - Sample Letter
- Talking Points: Education Saving Accounts & Private School Vouchers
- Talking Points: Public School Funding
- NISD Resolution for Additional Funding and Against Vouchers
- NISD Resolution Against A-F Ratings
Other Legislative Contacts
- Email the Senate Education Committee.
- Email the House Public Education Committee.
- Send a message to Governor Abbott.
- Email Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, Senate Education Committee Chair Brandon Creighton, and Senate Finance Committee Chair Joan Huffman.
- Email NISD’s seven House of Representatives.