*For travel card program information visit the Purchasing Department page under Travel Program and Meal Card tabs.  You must be logged in to access.*  Contact:  Procurement Card Specialist, 817.215.0002

Contact:  Financial Services, 817.215.0024

Travel & Expense Reimbursement

Northwest Independent School District will reimburse for reasonable, allowable expenses incurred in conjunction with authorized district activities.

Approval for travel is required in advance by the appropriate campus/department supervisor. A discretionary form is included in this section, for travel request approval from the supervisor (see Request for Professional Development Training form).

The following information identifies travel considerations and allowable travel expenditures/reimbursements. It is the discretion of the campus/department budget authority whether the allowable expense is paid or reimbursed by the district.

An employee submitting a reimbursement request for expenses is claiming the expenses were personally incurred, associated with approved travel, related to Northwest ISD business and have not been previously charged to the district nor previously submitted for reimbursement.

Reimbursements for travel and related expenses will not occur until after the travel/event has taken place.

Expenses beyond what is allowable are at the expense of the employee.

Request for Professional Development Training

Discretionary form for use at the campus/department level.

Approval for travel is required in advance by the appropriate campus/department supervisor authorizing the travel. A discretionary form for campus/department use is included in this section, for travel request approval from the supervisor.

• Day travel meals are paid at actual cost. Original itemized receipts must be submitted as supporting documentation.

• Overnight travel meals are paid at the per diem rates defined within this section.

• This form is for campus/department use, however if travel is approved with conditions, a copy should be attached to the Overnight Travel Expense Report form.

NOTE: Documentation for exceptions of eligible reimbursements for travel expenses must be submitted as part of reimbursement requests.

Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate

Northwest ISD is exempt from the state portion of the hotel tax. The six percent state hotel tax applies to charges for sleeping accommodations, meeting rooms and banquet rooms in a hotel or motel.

Cities, authorized counties and special purpose districts levy local hotel taxes at varying rates. These taxes will be paid by the district.

Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification

Tax-exempt district purchases: Internet, etc.

A school district is a political subdivision of the State of Texas and is, therefore, exempt from paying state sales tax. A tax number is not required for exemption. A tax exemption certification should be completed and sent to a vendor who has requested a tax number for his/her records.

Purchases by the school for educational or instructional use or for administrative use necessary to the educational function of the school are exempt from tax (office supplies, duplicating paper, etc.).

Vendors have the option of accepting a sales taxes exemption certificate from staff traveling with students for competitions/events, for the purchase of group meals.  Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification form must be presented at the time of purchase.

Individual members of the athletic team, band, etc., may not claim exemption from sales tax on the meals they purchase while on a school authorized trip.

Travel Report

Day travel reimbursements are processed using the Travel Report as a summary with original itemized receipts as supporting documentation.

Overnight travel reimbursements must be submitted using the Overnight Travel Expense Report.

  • Original itemized receipts for meals, parking and other eligible travel expenses must be taped to a plain sheet of 8.5” x 11” paper.


  • In-District – District facility to district facility.  A printout from the intra-district mileage tracker ( is sufficient for documentation.
  • Out-of-District – Requires a printout from an Internet mapping service documenting mileage from point A to point B.

Utilize the Travel Report form located under Forms on the Financial Services webpage.  Use the appropriate tab within the workbook relating to the period of time the travel occurred.