As a result of their learning needs, some students benefit from acceleration. In Northwest ISD, we offer a variety of acceleration opportunities. Advanced Placement and Dual Credit are available to all high school students while the other options require additional testing.
- Kindergarten Acceleration
- Grade Skipping
- Math Acceleration
- Advanced Placement
- Dual Credit
According to the Acceleration Institute, "Acceleration is an academic intervention that moves students through an educational program at a rate faster or at an age that is younger than typical. It is about creating a better match between the readiness and motivation of a student and the level and pace of instruction. Academic acceleration can include grade skipping, early entrance to kindergarten or college, moving ahead in just one subject, and other ways of moving a student ahead to more challenging coursework."
The Facts: Academic Acceleration and Gifted Students
- Acceleration works. There is extensive research supporting acceleration as the most effective way to serve gifted learners.
- Well-researched methods have been developed for evaluating a student for acceleration and guiding all of the stakeholders through the process.
- Acceleration can be provided in a variety of ways, including content acceleration, grade skipping, curriculum compacting, and dual credit/enrollment, and Advanced Placement. This means that acceleration can be tailored to best meet the needs of the individual student.
- Acceleration supports the social and emotional development of students by placing them with other like-minded students.
- Acceleration provides academic challenges and stimulation, which are needed for continuous development of students’ abilities.
- Acceleration is actually an inexpensive educational option.