A PreK student will…
- Students will establish positive relationships with teachers and peers which enable them to participate effectively in the classroom community.
- Students build vocabulary knowledge through hands-on experiences and develop concepts related to language and literacy including vocabulary, phonemic awareness and letter recognition.
- Participate in a variety of activities using thinking, reasoning, remembering, problem solving, number concepts, counting, and understanding the physical and social worlds.
Registration is now open for 2021-2022
You need to have the following enrollment documents ready to upload when registering:
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residency
- Parent Driver's License
Please check below for eligibility guidelines and documentation needed for the state-funded Pre-K program offered at no cost for those that qualify.
Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language
|Eligibility is determined by language assessment. Once your online registration is complete you will be contacted by the Language Testing Center to make an appointment for the language assessment.|
The student is eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program
Eligibility determined by the total combined household income and the number of family members in the household. Income is determined by the gross income. 2-3 months of income documentation are required.
Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; (mobilized) or is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
DoD ID for active duty military
Documentation for Texas National Guard members or military reservists that they are in face on active duty.
Documentation stating the former military member sustained injury while on active duty, not necessarily in combat.
The links below contain detailed information for military qualification.
Currently, or have ever been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
Letters are sent to qualifying families. If you did not receive a letter you can contact a DFPS specialist to have one sent. The link for the specialist is below as well as an example of the documentation.
Court documentation is also acceptable.
Star of Texas Award
Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer (3106.002), firefighter (3103.003), or emergency first responder (3106.004) that were seriously injured or lost their lives in the line of duty.
The office of the Governor, Criminal Justin Division honors recipients annually in September, The resolution (certificate) awarded to an individual serves as proof of eligibility to enroll their child in free Pre-K if they are age-eligible.
Defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a
The tuition waitlist is for the 21-22 school year only. The waitlist does not carry over to the next school year.
Placement from the waitlist does not guarantee there will be a place available at the campus.
Your waitlist entry is time stamped upon submission and places are filled as space is available.
Make sure to read the information below carefully before signing up on the waitlist.
- Students must be 4-years-old by September 1, 2021, Birthdates between 9/2/2016 and 9/1/2017 are age eligible for Pre-K (age requirements are state law and NO exceptions are made)
- Live within the Northwest ISD boundaries
- Do not meet the eligibility requirements for state-funded Pre-K or Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE), which are offered at no cost. Check this link www.nisdtx.org/prek for eligibility requirements.
- A non-refundable registration fee of $125.00 is required upon acceptance into the tuition program.
- Annual tuition for tuition-based Pre K is $3065.00. Tuition can be paid annually, by semester, with two payments of $1532.50 or monthly in 10 installments beginning in August.
- The first tuition payment, $181.50 ($306.50 less the $125.00 fee) is required by the due date in your tuition-agreement. Further payments ($306.50) are due according to the schedule located in the parent agreement. A $20 late fee is charged to late payments.
Northwest ISD utilizes an online payment system designed to streamline payments for school activities. You may use it to pay for many school expenses including: Pre-K tuition, field trips, libraries, and other activities. New items will appear as they become available.
You will log in using the parent Home Access Center (HAC) account username/password. Make sure you go to the link for InTouch to pay your tuition. A direct link is included below.
If you do not know your HAC username/password combination, please contact your respective campus to have your account created and activated. The first thing most people do is change the password. If you change your password, it may take up to 24 hours to update. It is better to use the password given to make your first payment and then change the password.
NOTE: If you have more than one child in Northwest ISD, please contact your campus Registrar. They will be able to “link” multiple children to the same account. This will allow you to have a one-stop-online-shop to take care of all of your children’s needs.
- You can pay your tuition at the campus with check, cash, cashier’s check, debit or credit card (Visa, Discover, MasterCard).
- You can pay online with your debit or credit card (Visa, Discover, MasterCard).
- Any automatic payments from your bank or charge account must be received by the payment due date. We are not responsible for payments that are scheduled and do not reach us by the correct date.
Below is the payment schedule for the 2021-2022 school year. Monthly invoices are not sent out. It is the responsibility of parent(s)/guardian(s) to ensure payment is received by the due dates listed below. Tuition may be paid for multiple months, by semester or year.
Tuition is paid each mont for each student enrolled in tuition-based PreK, whether teaching is face-to-face or remote.
|Payment||Tuition Month||Amount Due||Tuition Due||Late Fee Assessed|
|Non-Refundable Registration Fee||When registering||$125.00||At spring registration or when accepting registration.||Must be paid to secure tuition placement.|
|1||August OR first enrolled month||$181.50||August 13, 2021||Must be paid before student can begin class|
|September 10, 2021||September 13, 2021|
|3||October||$306.50||October 12, 2021||October 13, 2021|
|4||November||$306.50||November 10, 2021||November 11, 2021|
|5||December||$306.50||December 10, 2021||December 13, 2021|
|6||January||$306.50||January 10, 2022||January 11, 2022|
|7||February||$306.50||February 10, 2022||February 11, 2022|
|8||March||$306.50||March 10, 2022||March 11, 2022|
|9||April||$306.50||April 11, 2022||April 12, 2022|
|10||May||$306.50||May 10, 2022||May 11, 2022|
- A $20.00 late payment fee is added to accounts if payments are not received by due date.
- A $30.00 fee is charged for each returned check or failed electronic transaction. A money order or automatic EFT transaction may be required for future payments.
Removal from Program
- Accounts are delinquent after 10 days of non-payment
- Tuition not paid 10 calendar days after the due date will receive a notice of withdrawal from Pre-K.
- Accounts not current by the last day of the month in which the tuition is delinquent may result in the student being withdrawn from the Pre-K program.
Collection of Delinquent Accounts
- NISD may refer delinquent accounts to a collection agency and file suit to collect unpaid amounts.
- The parent/guardian is responsible for the cost of any and all expenses related to collection for delinquent payments.
- Unpaid fines and tuition payments remain on the student’s account until paid.
Campuses with Pre-Kindergarten Classes
Parents register their child for the Pre-K in their attendance area. Not sure of your attendance area? Click here.
Half Day Pre-K
For qualifying and tuition-based students available at:
- JC Thompson
- Seven Hills
- Lance Thompson
Full Day Pre-K
Students must qualify for Pre-K and live within the school attendance zones.
Tuition Pre-K is not available at full-day campuses.
- Clara Love
- Prairie View (Prairie View and Seven Hills attendance zones)
Dual Language Pre-K
Students are assigned to the DL classroom designated by their attendance zone
- Prairie View
What is the age qualification for Prekindergarten?
To attend Prekindergarten children must be four-years-old by September 1st of the school year in which they are applying. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
Can my 3-year-old attend PreKindergarten?
No. Children who are three-years-old on September 1st are not eligible to attend PreKindergarten.
Where are Pre-K classes located?
Please go to the webpage Schools With Prekindergarten Classes for this information.
Can I attend any campus that has Pre-K?
Students attend Pre-K at the campus within their attendance zone. If there is not a Pre-K at your elementary home campus your child will attend the Pre-K campus designated for your attendance zone.
What are the times for Prekindergarten?
Prekindergarten is a five-day-a-week program. There is a morning and an afternoon class. The morning class is from 7:40am until 10:50am. The afternoon class is from 11:50 am until 3:00 pm.
Is there a school supply list for Prekindergarten?
Yes, there are designated supplies for Prekindergarten. If you have any questions about school supplies please contact your child's teacher or the school they will attend.
Is transportation available?
Prekindergarten students living in the attendance zone of the school they are attending and living outside a two mile radius of the school may ride the bus to school if attending a.m. Pre-K and may ride the bus home if attending afternoon Pre-K.
Is there mid-day bus service?
Mid-day bus service is available for students that live in the attendance zone of the school they are attending or the PreK transportation zone assigned to the PreK campus. To be eligible for mid-day transportation to the afternoon class or home from the morning class, the family home address must be outside the two mile radius of the PreK campus. Parents must fill out a transportation form requesting bus service before school begins so that the route can be established. This form will be available at the PreK campus during document review.
Does attendance really count in Pre-K?
Yes, it does. To receive the full benefit of the Prekindergarten program your child needs to be here every day for their class. Once you have enrolled your child in school they are expected to attend and fall under Compulsory Attendance Law. Refer to the link below to access the Student Handbook and Code of Conduct regarding state and district attendance laws and policies.
When do we register?
Kindergarten and Prekindergarten Round-Up will be held in the spring for the next school year. Families can register this week or any time through the end of the school year. Families can also qualify and register during new student registration in August.
We don't live in Northwest ISD. Can we transfer from another district?
No. We do not take out of district transfers.
We will be out of town during Pre-Kindergarten registration. Can I still register?
Yes. Pre-Kindergarten registration continues through the end of the school year. Families can also qualify and register during new student registration in August.
Does my child need to attend registration?
If you are qualifying for the English as a Second Language (ESL) program there will be an English language assessment in order to qualify. Your child will need to at that appointment.
What if I do not have the necessary paperwork?
Please refer to the parent checklist page. All information is required. If all paperwork is not complete we cannot complete the registration process and place your child in a class.
Do I get a choice of attending the morning or afternoon class?
You may choose for your child to be placed in the morning or afternoon class as long as there are spaces available. Once your child is enrolled in a class that is the class they will be attending.
4 year olds (Pre-K)
- 4 doses of DPT/DTaP/DT/TdaP/Td
- 3 doses Polio
- 1 dose MMR received on or after the 1st birthday*
- 3 doses Hib (one of which must be on or after 12 months) or 1 dose Hib after 15 months of age
- 2 doses Hepatitis A
- 3 doses Hepatitis B
- Pneumococcal Conjugate (Prevnar, PCV7) - 4 doses given in infancy with one dose after age 1, or 2 doses if given between 12-24 months, or 1 dose if given after 24 months
- 1 dose Varicella (if child has not had chickenpox) *
*Doses given up to (and including) 4 days before the birthday will meet the requirements for school entry.
Exclusions from compliance are allowable on an individual basis as specified in Texas Education Code 2.09, Chapter 97. For further information, contact the school nurse.
Immunizations must be up to date in order for registration to be complete.
Please make sure your child's immunizations are up to date before coming to registration.
We are unable to complete your child's registration and place them in a class if immunizations are not up to date.
Prior to the start of Kindergarten or the age of 5 whichever comes first, each child is required to have another DTaP (#5), Polio (#4), MMR (#2), and Varicella (#2).