Pre-K Family Engagement Plan
Northwest ISD PreKindergarten program strives to provide a high quality PreKindergarten experience for children and their families through a collaboration of home, school and community partners. It is through these collaborative efforts that relationships, high levels of family involvement and positiveattitudes toward education begin.
Definitions of Family and Family Engagement
- Family--Adults responsible for the child’s care and children in the child’s life who support the early learning and development of the child.
- Family engagement--The mutual responsibility of families, schools, and communities to build relationships to support student learning and achievement and to support family well-being and the continuous learning and development of children, families, and educators. Family engagement, combined with the child’s educational experience supports the whole child, and is both culturally responsive and linguistically appropriate.
- Facilitate family-to-family support
- Establish a network of community resources
- Increase family participation in decision-making
- Equip families with tools to enhance and extend learning
- Develop staff skills in evidence – based practices that support families in meeting their children’s learning benchmarks
- Evaluate family engagement efforts and use results of evaluations for continuous improvement