Safety & Security
At Northwest ISD, we are dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment for the students, faculty, staff and visitors on our campuses. In order to support that commitment, we have a comprehensive emergency operations plan that addresses emergency mitigation/prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery procedures relevant to natural and human-caused disasters.
The plan is updated annually, reviewed by staff as well as emergency response personnel, and shared with campus and department staff, and with other individuals who may have a role in the event of an emergency. The plan prepares our staff and students for action and establishes teams, chains of command, and specific steps to take in an emergency situation. We are ready to provide for the safety and security of your children and others if the need ever arises.
As part of the plan, each campus practices fire, evacuation, reverse evacuation, exterior lockdown, full lockdown, safe shelter and bad weather drills throughout the year. This allows our district administrators to be sure that faculty/staff and students know the correct procedures in the event of an emergency.
We also have a safety and security audit team that conducts safety and security audits of every campus in the district on a rotating basis every three years.
Additionally, at Northwest ISD, we are in partnership with local law enforcement agencies who provide school resource officers for our campuses. The police officers are in constant contact with their respective departments - Denton County Sheriffs Office, Rhome Police Department, Trophy Club Police Department and Roanoke Police Department.
School Safety Programs
As a district, we have in place several programs to ensure schools are safe. These include:
- An emergency response coordinator and district and campus safety teams
- ID badges for employees as well as contracted service providers (cafeteria, bus, etc.), students (at the secondary level), and visitors while on district property
- Visitor check-in software
- Emergency operations plans
- School resource officers
- Security guards (high schools)
- Campus Crime Stoppers
- Safety drills
- For each campus: facility security measures, updated employee emergency call lists, and an inventory of emergency supplies and equipment, and an emergency response team with identified duties
When working together, we help maintain a safe and positive school environment for every child.