Skip To Main Content

Education During Homelessness

Homeless children and youth have the right to a free, appropriate public education.

Northwest Independent School District is committed to ensuring that homeless children and youth have access to a quality education in our public schools. All Northwest Schools have a Homeless Education Liaison to assist families in need of information and assistance. All of our schools can help ease the difficulties encountered by homeless families.

What Homeless Families Need to Know

Who Is homeless?

Anyone who, due to a lack of housing, lives:

  • In emergency or transitional shelters
  • In motels, hotels, campgrounds, abandoned in hospitals, or awaiting foster care
  • In cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings
  • Doubled up with relatives or friends
  • Migratory children living in these conditions

What are your rights?

  • Homeless children have a right to attend school.
  • You do not need a permanent address to enroll your child in school.
  • Homeless children have the right to stay in their home school if the parents choose.
  • Your child cannot be denied school enrollment just because school records or other enrollment documentation are not immediately available.
  • Your child has the opportunity to receive transportation services to and from the school of origin.

  • Your child has the right to participate in extracurricular activities and all federal, state, or local programs for which he/she is eligible.

  • Children with special education needs between the ages of 3 and 21 are eligible to receive special needs services. If you believe your child may be eligible, contact your school or the District Special Education office at 817-215-0054.

At school, ask about these special services

  • Free breakfast and lunch programs
  • Possible transportation assistance for children to remain in their home school
  • Tutoring programs
  • Programs to help children learn English
  • Gifted or talented programs
  • Summer School programs
  • Pre- school programs
  • After school programs
  • Homeless assistance programs

What your family can do before you move

  1. Tell your child's teacher and principal that your child is moving, and give them your new address.
  2. Let school officials know if you want your child to stay in his/her home school while you are getting the family stabilized.
  3. Ask for a copy of your child's school records, including immunizations.
  4. Provide your child with an opportunity to say goodbye to friends.