Information About Bereavement Leave Policy
On September 11, 2023, the Northwest ISD Board of Trustees approved an update to local policy, DEC(LOCAL), that grants three days of paid leave for the death of an immediate family member. These three days are provided for each situation in which an immediate family member dies. For additional information, please view the frequently asked questions below.
- When did the NISD Board of Trustees approve bereavement leave?
- How many paid bereavement days are available for the death of an immediate family member?
- Who is considered an immediate family member?
- What if there is a need to take more than three days for the death of an immediate family member?
- What if I need to take more than eight days for the death of an immediate family member?
- Will bereavement-related absences from before the policy's approval be changed to the new leave type?
- Is there any documentation needed to apply for bereavement leave?
- Do the bereavement days roll over into the next school year?
- Does the bereavement leave need to be taken immediately following the death of an immediate family?